My Amazon A-Store

Friday, May 14, 2010

Crafty Friday - beaded crosses

Well, I know that I said yesterday that Friday was going to be for paper crafts, but I think that I need to change that to general crafting! :-) I have been given the honor of helping to make the gifts for my daughter's 8th grade class. She goes to a small Catholic school, so there are about 60 kids in her grade. The other day I was given the supplies to make beaded crosses that will be given to the children next week at their Graduation Breakfast. I'm not sure who came up with the idea, but these are too pretty to not share!

First of all, look at all of these beautiful beads!

I just love all of the different colors. I am afraid to work on this project, because it might get me hooked on beading and I DO NOT need another hobby! lol But, all of these colors and playing with these beads really looks like so much fun! I have to admit that I'm one of those people who has to keep certain things separated, like all of my food in it's own pile on my plate, things that are similar grouped together just so......so that's why I came up with using one of GG's plastic plates to hold all of the beads. It works perfect for the job that I'm doing!

And here is what the completed beaded cross looks like......

The cross is made from wrapping 24-guage beading wire around two toothpicks that are in the shape of a cross. I honestly haven't made any of the actual crosses, they were given to me already made. But, I was told that this is how they were made. You just keep wrapping and wrapping until all of the toothpick is completely covered with wire. Then you start wrapping more wire on and adding beads here and there and wrapping the wire around the beads to secure them into place. It's quite easy and very pretty! As I'm making them this weekend, I will snap some photos so that I can share a tutorial on how to make them. :-) I just thought that these were too pretty to not share with you all today! And, it's what's crafty at my house today.....that and more crochet washcloths! lol I am so addicted to making them. They are so easy and a great way to help me unwind after a long day.

I hope you all had a wonderful Friday....it was so beautiful here today and an absolutely perfect day for daughter's Field Day at school! Happy Friday!




4 comments:

  1. Wow.. these are gorgeous! What a fabulous gift to give... I can see so many wonderful ways to use them!!
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! I am going to pass the link along to my beading niece. You have a beautiful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is great thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment! I really do appreciate it and hope that you come back and visit me again soon! Take care and God Bless! di