My Amazon A-Store

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Family Favorite Recipes- Breakfast for Dinner - Biscuits and Gravy


We had our first cold and rainy evening a couple of days ago and I was so glad that biscuits and gravy was on the menu that night.  This is one of those total comfort meals for us and a lot of times if the following conversation comes up in our house, this is what we make.

"What sounds good for dinner?"
"Oh, I don't know. What sounds good to you?"
"Uh......hum....."
(several minutes of silence as we stand and stare at each other)
"How about biscuits and gravy?"
"YES!"

lol

Needless to say, this is something that I have made A LOT in our 17 years of marriage and I've actually been making a different version of this since I was a kid.....I'll share that with you, too. ;-)  The gravy is made with a basic white sauce recipe.   This is what my mom taught me ages ago and I've never looked in a real cookbook so see if they are the same.   You can double, triple, quadruple this gravy recipe to make as much as you need.  When I made this for my self, I used a single recipe.  Now, when I was feeding 2 adults and 3 teenagers, I quadrupled the batch.   It's super easy to do and I've never had a problem making a big batch of gravy.   The other thing that I have to do different now is with the sausage.  I do not eat chicken, red meat or pork and fish every now and then.  My husband and son love meat. lol  So, my husband cooks up some real sausage and I cook up some Morningstar Farms veggie sausage links for me and my daughter.   I use the links, because me and my daughter always snack on a couple while the gravy is cooking, but they also make 'sausage crumbles' that work great, too.  Then, at the table, you put whatever sausage you want on your biscuits and top with the gravy.  I used to mix the vegetarian sausage into the gravy while still on the stovetop, but now that my husband has been fixing it with real sausage, we have to assemble at the table. :-)   The SOS version is after the biscuits and gravy recipe.

Biscuits and Gravy:

basic white gravy recipe for one, hearty serving (double, triple, etc....to make as much as you need)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk

sausage of your choice, cooked and crumbled
baked biscuits - homemade or store-bought (I uses store-bought, because biscuits are just one thing I can't make!  :-(  Unless they are drop biscuits. lol)

In a saucepan, melt the butter.  Whisk in the flour and cook for one minute.  Whisk in the milk and cook over medium heat until the gravy comes to a boil and thickens.  Reduce heat to low and let sit until you're ready.   If you are using just one kind of sausage, you can add the cooked sausage to the gravy as it simmers on the stove.  Use as much as you like!  :-)  Sorry, no exact measurements again.

Split your biscuits on your plate and top with some sausage and gravy.  Add salt and pepper to taste..  As you can see from the picture above, I like a lot of pepper. lol   Since I have a wide-range of eaters and tastes, I let them put their salt/pepper on their own and I don't put it in the gravy before it's served.

SOS version: (a.k.a. S**t on a Shingle - sorry, my dad was a Navy cook and this is what they called it!)

Make the gravy as above, but while it is thickening, cut up pieces of dried beef and stir into the gravy.   The gravy softens up the dried beef and adds a good amount of salt, too.  Serve on toast.

Now, I haven't had red meat in almost 17 years and I must tell you, if there is anything that I miss and might even possibly consider ever eating that had meat in it, this is it. lol  I used to make this for breakfast almost every morning when I was in high school.  Nothing makes me think of home more than SOS!

I hope you're all having a good day.....it is cold here and even at 11 a.m. it's still in the 30's!  Burr....

God Bless,
di

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment! I really do appreciate it and hope that you come back and visit me again soon! Take care and God Bless! di