My Amazon A-Store

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Family Favorite Recipe - Hashbrown Quiche

Coming up with recipes on my own is something that I just can't do. But, out of desperation to copy a recipe that my mom used to make all of the time, I was able to come up with this super-yummy breakfast-for-dinner meal. My mom used to cook this in a skillet, but that just isn't enough for our big family. You can add anything to this dish to zip it up a bit. I have some picky eaters, so I keep it simple and only add vegetarian bacon or sausage. Usually, I keep it plain and simple though and it's still delicious! If I want to add extra goodies, I cook these up in pie plates and that way I can make each quiche differently, one w/ meat, one w/ lots of veggies, and one plain one, for example. I usually make it in a 9x13 baking dish and we have plenty for dinner and some leftovers for breakfast the next day. We had this for dinner last night with some watermellon. Fruit or a fruit salad go well with this; toast would be nice, too. This is comfort food for sure! I hope you enjoy it!

Hashbrown Quiche-

1 bag of frozen hashbrown potatoes
veggies of your choice - if desired (onions, bell peppers, anything you want really!)
meat of your choice - if desired (bacon, ham, sausage - I use Morningstar Farms vegetarian meat substitutes)
2 cups milk
6 large eggs
1 or 2 fresh tomatoes - depending on it's size and how thick you slice them
shredded cheese - as little or as much as you like (I use Colby/Jack or Cheddar)
a good grinding of fresh black pepper, to taste
salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

Saute the hashbrowns in a big skillet in some oil, salt and pepper until cooked through . You can add the veggies to the hashbrowns now so that they get soft. After the hashbrowns are cooked, stir in your choice of meat. While things are getting yummy in your skillet, stir together the milk and eggs. Add some salt and pepper, if desiered. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Pour the hashbrown mixture in the baking dish and spread out so it's pretty even. Slice your tomato and place on top of the hashbrowns, so that they cover the entire top. Sprinkle with some salt and a good grinding of fresh black pepper. (I have been known to use white pepper so my picky eaters can't see it! lol) Slowly pour the egg mixture over the hashbrowns. Cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes or so. Sorry, I don't have an exact time for this one. It also depends on what size of pan you use. If you cook this in a couple of pie pans, it cooks much faster. Just keep checking the dish in the oven, looking in the center, to see if the eggs have completely cooked and set. When done, remove from oven and sprinkle with some shredded cheese. Let sit for a few minutes so that the cheese melts. Slice into rectangles and enjoy!

I hope this all makes sense. Like I said, I am not one who can create a real recipe. For me, this is a grab from the fridge and stir together recipe. I normally don't measure, except I have found that the 2 cups milk and 6 eggs works the best for one bag of hashbrowns.

I have leftovers in my fridge right now...........hum.....I think I'll go warm some up! It's a prefect breakfast for this chilly morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to visit my blog and to leave me a comment! I really do appreciate it and hope that you come back and visit me again soon! Take care and God Bless! di